Sunday, April 5, 2015

Social Media

Social media today is decreasing the amount of face-to-face communication people have, and increasing the problem of an uninformed society in a world of information. Each day walking to class, people are looking down at their phones and scrolling through apps and sites such as Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter. People begin to ignore the world around them, focusing solely on the screens in front of them. In the time before class, rather than talking to the peers around them, students check their social media and ignore the opportunity to engage in conversations with those around them. A second aspect I have noticed in everyday life is the amount people rely on social media as their main source of the news. Many times, before I even go to a news source such as USA Today, I find out about major world news through Facebook or Twitter. Every day I work on reading the news from more reliable news sources rather than from social media, as it presents a very biased and irregularly informed opinion. Through my observations I have learned to separate my social media from my daily source of news and to focus more on the people and world around me than the screens that are constantly in front of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment