Saturday, April 4, 2015

Magazines

Today I received two "Teen Vogue" magazines in the mail and was flipping through them and reading each one, as it is not a magazine I read often. As I was reading through them, I noticed the amount of positive and negative ideas that they put into women's minds. In the positive sense, I finished reading the magazine with a sense of enjoyment and having caught up on the latest fashion trends and culture of our society. However, they also give women and young girls an extreme idea of what beauty is and how to achieve it. Women read these magazines and find a need for makeup and a need to be skinny in order to be beautiful. Personally, after reading through both "Teen Vogue" magazines, I felt immediate concern over the brands of clothes I owned and the type of makeup I used. I finished reading feeling like I needed to change in order for others to see me as beautiful. However, I have tried to work on reading these magazines with the knowledge that women of all looks and sizes are beautiful, and many magazines edit the models in their pictures to look differently than they appear in real life.

No comments:

Post a Comment